Consulting services for your business, home and property.
No matter if you are a residential or commercial customer there are pavement “rip-off artists” and unscrupulous contractors looking for you. Here are a few tips on common scam tactics and how to avoid those “fly by night” contractors. First a very basic rule. NEVER contract any job on impulse…no matter what the good reason or “today only” bargain seems to be.
- The #1 trap to avoid is the old “left over materials” line. Someone stops by and says they have some materials left from another job and offer you a great deal right now. Reputable contractors calculate materials carefully and seldom have more than a small amount of “leftovers” never enough to do an entire other job.
- Know your asphalt square footage. Jobs should be priced per square foot not by gallons.
- Sealer tanks should always be cylindrical shaped NEVER square and should have continuous agitation etc. It is important to check for the agitation.
- Beware the non-local. Does it really make sense for a contractor with out of state license plates or from many miles away to be at your door or office? Take a look at their license plates or vehicle inspections. If nothing else ask to see the person’s driver’s license; there would be no reason not to show you that or certificates of insurance.
- Does the deal sound to good to be true? It probably is.
- There are too many others to list but remember the basic rule. Use common sense and never decide “right now” on a job you didn’t contact the company about first.
A Few Tips for Choosing A Contractor
- References. Don’t just ask, check them. Call customers near you who had work done some time ago. Ask if you can come visit to look at the work.
- Get it ALL in writing. A good contractor will give you a detailed written quote with all specifications, quantities, and costs included. This includes all costs for preparation, labor, materials, taxes, permits, clean up after the job etc.
- Make SURE the contractor has both general liability and worker’s compensation insurance. If not you could be left wide open for damages to you or your property or lawsuits from your customers or even the contractor’s employees.
Jobs NOT produced
by Moore Seal, Inc.
DON’T LET THIS
HAPPEN TO YOU!
Let Moore Seal, Inc.
Do it right the first time!
“If you don’t use us,
it’s your own asphalt!”